Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Bigness of God

I got some bad news yesterday. The cancer is mostly likely back and I will have to have more surgery.

My immediate reaction was fear and crying. You would think that after all God's provision that I would feel less fear. After all, He knows what he is doing. He sees the big picture and how this experience will make me a better person.

So why the doubt? Why the fear? Because sometimes the obstacle in front of me is too big and that is all I see. It blinds me to the love and provision of God. Which is why Gods largeness is so important. When we would make decisions based on fear and avoidance of pain, he makes decisions based on what would make us more like Him. If we have faith He can guide us on the right path and banish our fears.

I imagine that this was what the Israelites were going through when they were facing the Red Sea. Behind them was the seemingly unbeatable Egyptian army and in front of them the mighty Red Sea. Their obstacles temporarily blinded them to God's love and provision. They were looking at the bigness of the army, the vastness of the Sea instead of how big God is.

The most important idea to remember is that God is bigger than pain. He is bigger than cancer. He is also bigger than our tears and our fears.

He has our lives and deaths in his very capable hands. If we keep our eyes on that, we need not fear.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isa 41:10

2 comments:

  1. What an inspirational writing! I think we often are fearful not for ourselves, but for what our "obstacles" mean for our family and those who love us. Especially as mothers, we worry about how our illness/pain/treatment impacts those around us. However, you are so right!!! God is bigger than any of our tribulations and He is holding you and your family in the palm of His mighty hand! I'm praying for you continuously, Ellen. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Lord and my God, I do not know what will happen to me today, but what I do know is that nothing will happen to me today that you and I together can not handle. This thought is enough to bring me to face the day in peace. I adore you in your wisdom and love. I commend myself into your hands with complete trust. +Amen.

    ReplyDelete