Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Home Sick

Because of my surgery, I've been sleeping on my couch for six weeks. It has it's perks, mind you, namely being able to watch TV when I can't sleep and not having to listen to my husband snore. But overall, it just doesn't cut it-- it isn't my bed. I end up shifting a lot, dealing with a fair amount of pain and waking up with an aching back. My greatest desire was to sleep in my own bed-- the yearning and the lack caused me tears a few times.

Last night I spent my first night in my bed! It was wonderful. It felt like home.

I think that this world is like that couch. It has its perks--chocolate, snuggling with my girl's, toe curling kisses from my husband. But it also is full of pain, heart wrenching pain. Even when it is going well, there is something not quite right. I end up shifting a lot, looking for that sweet spot that doesn't quite happen. It doesn't cut it.

I think that is one of the reasons that God sends painful or uncomfortable situations our way. It is to remind us that this world is not our home. No matter how good it gets, we have something even better waiting for us. Our imaginations can't even fathom the beauty and joy that will be ours. The pain is temporary and is useful for teaching us. The pleasures are nice. But our heart should yearn for something more-- our home with our Father. God doesn't want us to get too comfortable, too attached to this world. He doesn't want us to settle with the pleasures of this life. He wants our hearts to yearn for what is coming!

Hebrews 11:16
Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment