Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Flying Lessons


Content to stay in the safety of the chrysalis,
Only dreaming of flight,
I could not be taught there.

The hatching was a battle.
Forgetting the promise of flight, I prayed for it to pass quickly,
But struggle strengthens wings

Even with wings, I sometimes forgot flying
And crawled like a caterpillar, mucked in the mud
As if I had no choice

I, as a new creature, was meant to soar,
Not in the clouds where earth is forgotten,
But among the flowers.

My name comes from the king
So I can’t help but head towards the warmth of my home
Finding my course by listening to the His gentle voice inside

My father’s wings are like Eagle’s wings--strong,
Mine like gossamer,
Needing His protection to weather the storm, to keep on flying.

No, I didn’t learn flying from a book or even by watching others
(Though catching some hope of flight)
But by the power of His love, weakened not by events on the ground.

By His help, I can realize the power of my purpose
To color the sky with my wings,
Gathering His seed wherever I go,
Birthing the hope of His bloom where I land.

Psalm 63: 7 
Because you are my help, 
    I sing in the shadow of your wings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment